Patients must have a valid identification (Picture ID preferred) and orders in Epic. If the ordering provider is not part of the Partners network, then a written order is required and must include the following information:
- Name and unit number
- Type of specimen
- Tests requested
- Provider’s full name, telephone number and location
- Diagnosis code(s)
If a provider wishes to order a test not performed by the Chelsea HealthCare Center Lab, the specimens will be collected and forwarded to the appropriate laboratory for testing.
Providers who collect specimens in their offices or on home visits, should label the specimen with the patient’s name and unit number, place it in a plastic bag, and secure a completed requisition around the specimen with an elastic.
Criteria For Specimen Refusal
The laboratory reserves the right to refuse a specimen under any of the following conditions:
- Specimen not labeled with patient’s name and unit number.
- Name on specimen and requisition do not agree.
- Specimen exceeds stability requirement.
- Urine specimens more than 1 hour old and unrefrigerated.
- Quantity Not Sufficient (QNS) for testing.
- Specimen unsuitable for testing.
- Date of Specimen unknown.
- Specimen arrives without a valid order.
- Improperly sealed or leaking container.
Results are accessible in Epic and available by calling 617-724-LABS (5227). Tests performed at the Chelsea HealthCare Center Laboratory are offered on a routine and STAT basis. The use of STAT is reserved for tests that are for urgent care. Tests performed at the Chelsea HealthCare Center Laboratory are offered on a routine, ASAP basis.